Sunday, March 6, 2016

Piper was Electric (at the Regent Park School of Music)

One of my students wrote that. "Piper was electric." And again I am reminded why these teaching "gigs" (fun to call them gigs!) are wonderful and so important to me. In our final two hour session at The Regent Park School of Music Amani and I wrote, listened and shared work alongside the students and each other. I had my tiny slips of paper with me. We read three different versions of a poem I wrote called Little Boy, Running. Amani read a prose piece and then performed another version of the same piece set to music. We explored the relationship between sound and meaning; memory and association. Piper was electric she wrote. Don't be a mirror, on his torn sheet of lined paper. I don't know if you can call it a poem. I don't know if it's good enough. Will you read us one line, Amani asks. Just one word, then? And even the student who is silent seems to be sharing a smile with us all in the room; a smile the size of sky in winter. That's what poetry does.
electric, winter, stranger?
Regent Park Wall of Sky
Ten Smiles at 4:58pm on a Sunday
Trumpet Window Poem

No comments:

Post a Comment