Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Visitor

Yesterday a grade 8 student told me that he hated poetry and said that it was so boring and also that he hated
doing what we were doing and what I was asking them to do was stupid and he made the class laugh when he said that. Another student in the same class ignored me completely and read his book while I stood there with some tiny bits of paper in my hands like a nervous little sparrow. Can I do this today? Why don't they like me?

Then a girl with brown hair and blue eyes smiled at me and said thank you. I turned my nose up at the laughter and told a boy he had beautiful handwriting and that his ideas were good and interesting. I heard the sound of pencil on paper. A beautiful sound. I fell in love again. I walked out with a tidy stack of freshly written poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment